A law degree gives you boundless opportunities to make the best out of your knowledge and practical skills, not only as a lawyer. But, you can lead an esteemed life by practicing as a lawmaker, journalist, government agent, policymaker, professor, etc. Law has scope in various regulated disciplines, so stop worrying about it and consider adding value to your CV. As an international student in the USA, you have numerous occasions to excel in Law. Keep on reading to discover what to study after LLB in the USA.
What are the options to study after LLB in the USA?
Here are the top study options you can opt for after studying LLB:
- Juris Doctor (JD)
- Master’s degrees in Law/Legal studies
- Legal Certificate
- Master’s in Public Policy
- Master’s in Criminal Justice
LLM and JD
The two main options after studying LLB are to go for either LLM or JD if you plan to practice law as a lawyer.
Let’s learn how both differentiate from each other? And which is worth choosing?
1. Juris Doctor (JD)
If you intend to practice law in America, you must have a JD degree to give the Bar examination. JD is a 3-years course that introduces you to various Law and legal subjects. It helps you learn the American legal system in more depth.
2. LLM (Master of Law)
You specialize in particular subjects of Law and legal studies when doing the LLM. It is a 1-year degree and holds importance in the American job sector. You choose this degree after completing the JD in the USA.
Top 5 Law Schools in the USA
Here are the top 5 Law schools in the USA:
- New York University
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Virginia
- Georgetown University
- University of California, Berkeley
LLM costs are less than JD as it is relatively shorter. Furthermore, private schools are more expensive than public schools. Studying Law in the USA can cost you around $40-50k each year.
Requirements for admission
- A bachelor’s degree that’s similar to an American 4-year bachelor’s degree.
- Meet the GPA requirement of the respective university. It could never be less than 3.0.
- Clear the LSAT on entering law school.
- Have an IELTS score higher than 7.0
- A JD degree from the USA.
- Have a GPA higher than 3.0 to meet minimum requirements.
- Pass LSAT
- IELTS score over 7.0
Your course will start with basics and complicate as you move towards the end of a JD degree.
In the starting year, you will learn about constitutional laws, legal writing, property, civil procedure, torts, contracts, etc. Then in the later years, you will specialize in specific topics and start implementing your knowledge practically in legal writing courses, etc.
In LLM, you will focus on particular courses. The leading disciplines in Law and legal studies are:
- Tax Law
- Environmental Law
- Labour Law
- Media Law
- Civil Law
- International Law
- Intellectual Property Law
Completed graduation? Options you can choose
After deciding what to study after LLB in the USA, you should also learn about possible future careers. Let’s look at the available options.
1. Bass the Bar
Every state has its specific method to qualify for the Bar examination. But it’s required to have a JD degree from an associated institution, pass 1 Bar exam, and earn approval in the character evaluation exam.
After passing the Bar, you’re legally allowed to practice as a lawyer.
2. Career options
Following are your options:
- Work as an employee at your dream law firm and practice your particular domain.
- Start your private law firm to work as a personal lawyer.
- Jobs in the public sector are a good option.
- With experience and capabilities, you can become the justice of the state.
3. Study a higher degree
You can also study for a JSD degree ( the Doctor of Juristic Science) and work as a research professor at a top-tier institution.
The following programs help in creating many opportunities for you.
Other Master’s degrees in Law
It includes MSL (Master of Science in Laws), Master of Legal Studies (MLS), etc. These programs are beneficial to enhance your legal knowledge and help master your career. Practicing lawyers also choose these programs to broaden their proficiency.
Such programs maybe 1 to 2 years long and cost about 35-45k USD.
Universities to study Master’s in Law in the USA
- Master of Legal Studies, Arizona
- MS in Law, Northwestern University
- Master of Jurisprudence, Texas A&M University
Requirements for admission
- A 4-year Bachelor’s degree
- GPA higher than 3.0
- GRE may be essential
- Recommendation letter and statement of purpose.
- 6.5+ IELTS score
Master’s in Criminal Justice
With time, the number of heinous crimes around the world increases. It increases the need for crime analysts. In this Master’s program, you will study the details about criminality and justice. It also deals with law enforcement and the judicial system. You can specialize in many disciplines, including cybercrime, crime analysis, cybersecurity, etc.
This program costs you around 40-50k USD for the one year of this program.
Universities to study Criminal Justice in the USA
- MS in Criminal Justice, Boston University
- MA in Criminal Justice, Faulkner University
- MS in Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Tampa.
Requirements for admission
- You must have a bachelor’s degree that holds the same value as the US’s 4-year Bachelor’s degree.
- An IELTS score higher than 6.5
- A recommendation letter and a statement of purpose